Telling tales

Sports bring people together. When I first moved to Canada, I was very new and didn't speak very good English. After couples of days of being at home doing nothing. I started going to school which I was very nervous about because it was my first time going to a different country and studying in a different country. The culture was very different for me to adapt to. The first day of school was very boring and I didn't know anybody. In my English class, we were writing about our favorite thing to do. I choose to write about soccer, and when the teacher was marking my story. she told me that if you like soccer so much why don't you join the school soccer team. she said she would take me to soccer team coach. She introduced me to the coach, and he told me that there are tryouts happening if I wanted to try out. I very excitedly went to the try outs the next day. My coach introduced me to the other players on the team. By the end of the try out, I had talked to couple of the guys on the teams and they started talking to me outside of practices/tryouts too, they sat with me in classes, so I didn’t feel so left out anymore. We started hanging out after school, doing homework together, practicing soccer together. we were basically like brothers, always together. I still am very close to them, and we hang out a lot and I think if it weren't for the soccer try outs, I would have never made them my friends and I think I would feel like I didn't fit into the school. they helped me a lot and within a semester, all my nervousness was gone, and I was very confident, still sometimes struggling but it wasn't something that couldn't have been fixed. Sports can bring people together and for me soccer changed my life and I’m very happy with the outcome of it. 


Comments

Popular Posts